Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Post Information and Inquiries about Interviews and Status of Searches Here

2,083 comments:

1 – 200 of 2083   Newer›   Newest»
Anonymous said...

Has anyone heard anything at all from the schools that started reviewing applications on Sept. 1 - Northeastern, San Diego, etc...

Anonymous said...

Don't get too stuck on the deadlines listed on the job postings. Some departments will look at materials before the posted date, some around the posted date, and others not until a month or more after the posted date. The waiting game is very hard, but it is easier if you set your expectations that you won't necessarily hear from anyone for a while once the deadline has passed. Also, since these places are just getting back to work from the summer break it will probably be a while before some of these committees even have a chance to look over the applicants.

Anonymous said...

Just curious if others are contacting departments to confirm receipt of materials. I'm sending mine via regular US mail - using UPS or another method with tracking would have been cost prohibitive.

Anonymous said...

i sent my packet to northeastern and have not yet heard anything

Anonymous said...

Ditto on Northeastern. I'm not expecting to hear anything for a while. I was on the market last year, and my one interview was at a department with a mid-September deadline. I was contacted in early November.

Anonymous said...

I too was on the market last year and was contacted for a phone interview at least 4 weeks after the application deadline (might even have been 6). I think that's pretty typical.

Also regarding tracking your applications, for $0.65 you can get a delivery confirmation from the USPS. Let's you check online and find out when (and that) your stuff got there.

Anonymous said...

The wiki says College of Charleston has requested more materials. Can anyone elaborate? When and what?

Anonymous said...

Has anyone heard if Bradeis is hiring? I heard they were but haven't seen a job listing.

Parrott said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Charleston requested letters of recommendation, syllabi, and evals. Request came on about the 10th or 11th.

Anonymous said...

Just curious if anyone knows anymore about Hawaii? I heard they were putting together their short list, but wasn't sure if they have contacted anyone yet.

Anonymous said...

Reminder: when you update the wiki, please put an X next to a school if they contacted you personally. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Can anyone verify that UCSD requested more materials? The wiki says they did but their deadline has not even passed yet.

Anonymous said...

I haven't heard from UCSD myself, but this wouldn't be too surprising. Many schools start looking at applications before the deadline. While they generally won't finalize a shortlist before the deadline, they may do things like ask for more materials from candidates who look promising.

Anonymous said...

Out of curiosity --what type of additional materials do schools request?

Anonymous said...

I think that the schools that ask for more info are those that didn't ask for writing samples, research plans, or teaching dossiers in the initial application. So, they review letters and cvs and then ask for those additional materials. I also know ABD folks who have been asked for their dissertation drafts.

Anonymous said...

FYI if anyone was worried about the Bucknell position expiring- they re-opened the position online and are accepting apps now until Wednesday, midnight. The deadline was Sunday midnight and I guess threw people off...

Anonymous said...

Re: Wisconsin-Madison - For which position were additional materials requested, and what materials were requested?

Anonymous said...

I'm confused about the Open position at Madison requesting more materials as their deadline isn't until November 1. Can anyone explain?

Anonymous said...

Unless a school listed on the wiki has 1 or more X's next to it, I would not put a lot of stock in it.

It is also possible that someone could mis-interpret an email letting them know about something missing from their application as a request for more materials.

Or it is possible that someone's application was so amazing that they didn't need to wait to see any more before knowing that person just had to be on the list of finalists.

Anonymous said...

some schools do call people before the deadline, so apply early (they compete for candidates among each other, that's why)

Anonymous said...

UC Davis has a short list (4, plus 2-3 others in tier 2) for the social demography position, but I'm not sure if candidates have been notified yet. If not, they will hear something soon--probably this week.

Anonymous said...

Re: UC Davis

What about the macro-sociology position?

Anonymous said...

Screening and even interviewing can take place before a deadline. Apply early and often.

Anonymous said...

any word on the NYU position?

Anonymous said...

Has anyone actually heard from UC-Davis about the short list? If so, was it via phone or email?

Anonymous said...

Delaware is setting up phone interviews.

Anonymous said...

Davis hasn't narrowed the list of candidates for the macro position yet. Probably will happen soon, however. I still don't know if the demography short list has been contacted yet, so don't panic if you haven't heard from them.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the updates, 3:01. Wish every school could be as responsive as UC-Davis!

Anonymous said...

Any news on the University of Richmond search?? Their deadline was the 10th of Sept.

Anonymous said...

Northeastern was Sept. 1 - anyone hear anything? Or if you did apply and have not heard, can you let me know?

Anonymous said...

I applied to Northeastern and haven't heard anything yet. Given that the deadline was the day after Labor Day, I imagine they didn't start looking at applications till the following week at the earliest.

Anonymous said...

yes... i'm a little disappointed that i have not heard from northeastern. boston univ just sent out an email that starts with 'Congratulations!' but is just to inform me that my application is in. i know it's lighthearted, but it's perhaps in poor taste when one is waiting for any sign on the 'status of searches' from these schools...

Anonymous said...

I got the "Congratulations!" email from Boston University also. It make me laugh, especially the part where the email informed me that it will be "time to throw a dance party" if my application is complete.

But it would have made me happier if it had been a real congratulatory email...

Anonymous said...

Is the wiki page about offers that have been accepted up-to-date? The Univ. of CO Denver posting just came up in September but there is an X indicating an offer has already been accepted. Or am I just too tired from all this apps work???

Anonymous said...

SORRY! I followed the '2008' link and didn't realize this brought me to the '07/'08 page and then I needed to click on '2009'... Wow, at least you all can be confident you're a smarter candidate out there than me!

Anonymous said...

I'm a little surprised that there aren't more schools listed on the wiki as having asked for materials or set up interviews. I seem to remember that things were moving much more quickly last year at this time and confirmed it with a quick look back at last year's blog. Is it just me, or would others agree? I'm also wondering if this is actually the case (that most schools haven't done anything yet) or if there are just a lot of folks not using the blog and the wiki this year so we are not getting as much information. Any insights?

Anonymous said...

My hunch is that there are fewer people participating on the blog this year, but at the same time -- I am also a bit surprised that more schools have not moved quicker with their searches. I'm hoping things start to move forward in the next two weeks.

Anonymous said...

I think schools esp state funded schools are not sure if they can really hire. This economy sucks!!!

Anonymous said...

I think some people were turned off early by the rudeness on the blog from a few posters. I know several people who check the wiki but gave up reading or posting to the blog.

Things do seem to be moving slower...

Anonymous said...

I know more is going on than what is posted thus far. I personally am not comfortable posting on these developments because they have not happened to me personally. But there are phone and in person interviews, requests for information and so forth that are not listed here. We all are probably aware of these instances.

Anonymous said...

I think the point of having a "rumor mill" blog is to share information. If people don't post, there isn't much point in having a blog.

Anonymous said...

7:28 AM: it might be harder for the person who got contacted to post herself, because s/he might be afraid that the employer will know and that this will somehow impact the results. I think if you heard of something and are pretty sure your information is accurate, you should post it even if it doesn't apply to you

Anonymous said...

the wiki says northeastern has scheduled interviews- does anyone know if that is for the urban position, the gender position, or both?

Anonymous said...

So has anyone been contacted for the social dem position at UC-Davis?

Anonymous said...

I agree with 7:42 and 8:42. I'm not trying to pressure folks to post information to the wiki if they aren't comfortable with it, but I do that the goal of the wiki is to share whatever information we have. I wouldn't assume that others are necessarily "aware of these instances." I know I'm fairly out of touch with the other people on the market in my program and the wiki is my main source of information about the status of searches. This is all just to say that I really do appreciate it when people post things that they know, even if it isn't about them.

Anonymous said...

7:42 here -

I didn't mean to sound rude to anyone who does not feel comfortable posting. I am likewise VERY grateful for any information people can share. I am not aware of anything going on with the job market outside of what I read here and on the wiki. The few people I know on the market either have no information or are not sharing anything.

So if you have any info and feel okay sharing it anonymously, please do so and know it is very appreciated!

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure how many people are looking at/updating the wiki but I plan on it if i ever hear anything. I will appreciate anyone who does this as well. I, too am out of touch with other job-seekers in my dept., and really am still just plugging away in the basement finishing job apps and diss work. The wiki is a great resource, and will be especially useful when some of the places I applied show up. Thanks to those of you posting ;)

Anonymous said...

I have heard from two schools that I am on their short list. Both have asked for additional material. I haven't posted this information on the Wiki because I feel uncomfortable with being the first person to post this kind of information. Clearly there are others feeling the same way. I understand that this kind of attitude defeats the whole purpose of having a wiki in the first place. But as I said I just feel uncomfortable.

This is my second year on the job market. Last year I spent way too much time obsessing about the wiki and the blog. At the end I have come to understand that the information is not reliable at all(because of people like me I have to admit). This year I am checking the blog and the wiki barely once a week. And let me just tell you that emotionally I feel much better this way.

Anonymous said...

I want to add a strong "ditto" to 4:58's comment.

asdf09 said...

could 4:58 and 6:03 elaborate on the reason for being "uncomfortable" with posting their job info? i thought everything was anonymous on these sites, so i don't understand why you would want to get the benefits of this wiki by checking it but not feel the need to contribute.

Anonymous said...

hi again--i'm the one who passed on info about Davis. I heard that the faculty met on friday to discuss (and maybe vote on) the demography shortlist, so again--don't panic if you haven't heard anything just yet. I would bet that candidates will be hearing from the committee early this week.

Anonymous said...

First: Can someone clear up the Northeastern posting on the Wiki? Is it for the Gender or the Urban position?

Second: I can understand why some would be wary of posting information about being contacted (thereby identifying themselves if there were only one or two who had been contacted). However, it is also the case that one could post something on the blog (e.g., "Northeastern Cuba State has scheduled visits") that would be less identifiable.

Anonymous said...

the only thing i can contribute is that i know someone who is very qualified for the northeastern urban position and s/he has not been contacted. take that for what its worth.

for people who are uncomfortable posting, keep in mind that no one on a SC is going to consider whether or not they think you might have posted to the job blog when making decisions. trust me, they have more important things to consider. they probably are not sitting

also, feel free to engage in deception. if someone contacts you, go ahead and post "a guy down the hall from me said that he got a call from Okalachee Technical Institute". or say it was me. i'm fine with that.

Anonymous said...

I posted about Northeastern. I do not know which position(s) they have interviewed for, only that they have interviewed.
Sorry.

Anonymous said...

Has anyone heard anything about the position at UT-San Antonio?

Anonymous said...

Delaware has both a TT and one year position correct? If so, I assume the interviews are for TT?

Anonymous said...

I don't know anything current, but last year UTSA moved very slowly

Anonymous said...

it is very possible that more jobs will come available and more schools are cleared for searches. I know of a state school that had a hiring freeze just when they were about to post their position and it was pulled. However, they now got approved by the Dean to continue and it will be posted soon.

Anonymous said...

4:45 -- yes, my Delaware phone interview was for the TT post

Anonymous said...

I guess I must be misreading something. Wasn;t there only one Delaware position, labeled 'continuing non-tenure track'?

Anonymous said...

11:44 - there was another one posted, with a pretty early deadline. I believe it's already been taken down on the ASA website.

Anonymous said...

Ah, 11:46, music to my ears, i guess. thanks very much. here's hoping that the people doing phone interviews are for that earlier position.

Anonymous said...

Can anyone clarify for which if the two Colorado-Denver positions they have requested more materials?

Anonymous said...

About UTSA, I've heard that they posted the position with someone in mind (at the associate level). Not necessarily a slam dunk though.

Anonymous said...

so UC-Davis has finally moved from rampant speculation on this blog to scheduling interviews (on the wiki)? I'm assuming that's for the social demographer position? Sigh..I thought I really had a chance with them.

Anonymous said...

I was looking at schools' websites for their colloqium schedule.

Yale has someone coming on October 16, it looks like. They haven't put the name up there yet. But clearly they have started contacting people. Any news on that?

Anonymous said...

OK, about NYU quantitative position

they had a faculty meeting today and a job talk is scheduled for Oct.29.

should I link these two together?

Anonymous said...

The NYU job talk might just be a place holder on the calendar. Last year schools added the names of candidates to the schedule once they were known.

Anonymous said...

re 8:54pm (pacific time)

thanks!
this is comforting... for the moment..

Anonymous said...

may I just say, to those of who have genuine chances for the Yales and NYUs of the world, hats off!

Anonymous said...

can whoever updated the wiki to reflect that the university of miami has scheduled an interview please specify what position they are interviewing for; race/ethnicity or criminology.. they are hiring for two positions. thanks.

Anonymous said...

on Miami-I have heard for both.

Anonymous said...

Weighing in on the miami job(s). I've never heard of a department bringing in candidates for two different positions simultaneously. Usually they get one out of the way then move on to the other. Am i the only one who understands this to be the norm?

Anonymous said...

For those asking about Davis, all my info pertained to the demography position. The faculty apparently voted on the shortlist last friday, then it had to be approved by the dean sometime this week. I'm guessing that since the wiki has been updated, the shortlist candidates have been notified.

I have no clue what is going on with the macro position, but I'll probably keep my "rampant speculation" to myself next time.

good luck to all.

Anonymous said...

dear 6:09,

Thanks for your information, I'm sure most everyone appreciated what you were able to offer, even if some of us are too stressed out or disappointed to express it.

Anonymous said...

Anyone have any experience with the Princeton and Michigan societies? When do they usually send out response letters?

Anonymous said...

re: princeton SOF- they let all candidates know status of applications in january. interviews are held in early feb.

not sure about michigan.

Anonymous said...

Can someone who knows clarify the status of UC-Denver on the wiki? Is the information posted for the open or health position?

Anonymous said...

The wiki lists Maryland as scheduling interviews. Anyone know if this is for the demography position or the other, qualitative position?

Anonymous said...

The info I posted about the UC-Denver position was in regards to their crim position

Anonymous said...

re 6:42

it's the demography (senior) position. they have four/five interviews scheduled.

Anonymous said...

Does anyone know whether the request for more materials (U Cincinnati) on the wiki is for the gender position or the joint position with African American studies?

Anonymous said...

U. of Cinn: race position

Anonymous said...

Can anyone clarify the details of the UMass in-person interview on the wiki? Which area is it? I remember they listed 3 areas for 3 positions. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

It seems that Purdue has scheduled in-person interviews.. Is this for the social stratification position?

Anonymous said...

Just saw on Yale's colloquium schedule that they have scheduled 3 job interviews on Oct 16, Oct 30 and Nov 6. Details here:

http://www.yale.edu/sociology/colloquia/2008/fall/

So I just crossed Yale off from my wish list...thought I'd have a shot. sigh.

Anonymous said...

But at least it is good to know things are happening. Looks like the next a few weeks will be crucial!

Anonymous said...

Let me assure you that many more schools than what we see on the wiki have already started the process. I am not on the market this year but I have close friends who have heard from places that are not posted on the wiki yet. I am not posting the information because I'm thinking that they would have done it themselves if they wanted to share it so...

Anonymous said...

i find it very frustrating to read the comments about how some people have information they are refusing to share. as if this process wasn't bad enough...

Anonymous said...

I think one issue is that whether schools have "started" the process is different than what gets posted on the wiki. For example, I think I know of a few schools that are reviewing materials. There is no spot for that on the wiki.

Anonymous said...

Can anyone confirm and/or clarify the additional materials that Illinois Wesleyan asked for?

Thanks

Anonymous said...

i totally agree w/ 8:25- posting something like "university X has requested more materials" doesn't "out" someone's identity... i'm a little confused as to the impulse to withhold information. it definitely defeats the point of the wiki.

Anonymous said...

10:04, I big to differ, though I am in fact someone who contribues info when i have it.

There are some small departments, who have no graduate program students to leak info, and who request materials from only a few (maybe 2 or three at this stage) candidates. In these instances, it would not be difficult at all to deduce the identity of a cadidate who discloses info. The committee knows but typically will not post here, there are no grad students at that school - thew only culprits left are the couple of candidates who made some cut.

Anonymous said...

I get all of that... but how many committees or programs actually mind? Is it really something for people to feel guilty about? I'm not convinced.

Anonymous said...

Has anyone heard anything about SLACs? What is a typical timeline for a liberal arts school?

Anonymous said...

Re: SLACs

If you look at the wiki, some are already running telephone interviews. The recent SLAC letter I received indicated that they were planning to hold campus interviews in November. I'd tell you who said that but I don't recall and don't have letters here with me.

Anonymous said...

RE: Sharing

Even if a hiring dept doesn't have grad students who could share info, the grad students who get invited to submit more info, do a phone interview, etc could tell other students in their depts who could, then, post to the wiki. I don't think it's immediately traceable to a particular person.

I think this is where we need people on hiring committees to chime in--do you really care about info being posted to the wiki? Someone posted this question earlier but we got no response.

(0v0) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Is the fly-out on the wiki for UMass for the open junior, senior, or junior science?
Thanks!

Anonymous said...

As for what search committees think...When I was on the market I told the chair of one of the departments I interviewed in about this blog and he thought it was "interesting to see the ripple effects" of their decision. We actually had a great talk about the list, the anxiety, the attempts at demystification etc. I think the more transparent the process becomes, the better for all involved (acknowledging that some of the information posted may be less than reliable.) And yes, I got the job, even though it was clear I had posted information about the position and the progress of the search.

-Mel

Anonymous said...

Several professors in my dept. tell students about this blog and encourage them to use it as a resource during the job search. I'm fairly sure no one would consider it a black mark against a candidate if they suspected the candidate of posting information to the blog. I agree that it is a wonderful example of "competitors" cooperating to help each other through a stressful process.

Also, even if a SC only called 1 person, info here could be posted by a friend-of-a-friend who heard about it.

The only info. I can contribute at this point is that University of San Diego contacted me about an item that was missing from my file and asked me to send the missing item within 2 weeks. I assume this means they are in the process of reviewing files.

Anonymous said...

I received a "Receipt of Application" post card today for the Rutgers-Newark position. The last line states "Applicants, please follow up on your individual referees." As the job posting specifically asked for only the names of four references and no actual letters, I am confused by what "follow up" means in this case? Any advice would be appreciated!

Anonymous said...

Would the person who posted that Princeton asked for more materials mind telling us what they've asked for? And to clarify, is this the Demography/Public Affairs position?

Anonymous said...

Re: princton, I'm the one who put it up- they asked for a pdf copy of a published paper. I wasn't sure if that counted as asking for more materials, but since the job ad didn't specifically ask for a writing sample, I figured I should put it up. And yes, it was the demography position.

Anonymous said...

The UMass job candidates are up on their website.
Looks like they went the crim/deviance route for the "open" slot.

Anonymous said...

re: Princeton. Thanks for responding! They also asked me for a pdf of a published paper but I also wasn't sure if it counted. I'll gladly count it as being asked for more materials....I'll add an X next to your X.

asdf09 said...

i was also asked by princeton for a copy of a published paper. but the request came from the admin person at princeton shortly after i send my application materials, so this request seems like a standard response as opposed to an indication of interest on princeton's part. or that's how i read it anyway.

Anonymous said...

re: Harvard. What did they ask for extra since they asked for pretty much a full package initially? More diss. chapters? Just curious.

Anonymous said...

Can someone clarify what additional materials were asked for regarding the UC-Davis macro position? Dissertation chapters or something else? Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Davis macro: I was asked for dissertation chapters.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info about Davis (macro).

Anonymous said...

since there are still two weeks away for Wisconsin-Madison position, I haven't sent mine out.Would someone please clarify what additional materials did they ask for? Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Given that they're already asking for some people (unfortunately not me) to send in additional materials, Wisconsin is clearly already looking at applications and will probably move quickly after deadline. There's not much to gain by waiting to mail in your application.

Anonymous said...

Regarding Purdue's in-person interviews, are the interviews for the inequality position or the 50% with Af-Am? Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I applied at Princeton and was not asked to send a copy of a paper.

Anonymous said...

Wisconsin asked me to send copies of my best published and unpublished writing samples

Anonymous said...

For Purdue: it's the inequality/stratification position, not the joint position.

Anonymous said...

Wisconsin is reviewing applications that are complete and requesting writing samples from some applicants.

Anonymous said...

I am still waiting for feedback from an editor for a revised and resubmitted paper. I hope that I could add one more accepted paper on my CV before I send out my application for Madison. Am I jeopardizing my chance by waiting to the last minute? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Anonymous said...

As the chair of the hiring committee at an R1...No, we don't care if you post info on the wiki. We have a much larger concern right now -- thoroughly reading through 100+ files, and finalizing our short list before the very top candidates get lured by other, faster-acting universities.

Anonymous said...

Miami U in OH seems to be cancelling their tt search

Anonymous said...

This is probably completely unrealistic, but wouldn't it be nice if the chairs of the search committees just posted on the wiki?

Anonymous said...

The SC for the Cincinnati gender position is reviewing applications and will meet soon to finalize a list of people to interview. Interviews will be held in Nov. and Dec.

Anonymous said...

Is anyone willing to post what materials the University of Memphis requested?

Anonymous said...

Any more info 6:37?

Anonymous said...

re: U of Cinn -

there are several wiki indications that they have asked for more materials. however, i got a form letter from them today telling me that the committee has not yet met and is just starting to review files. can anyone confirm that they really did ask for more things from some candidates as opposed to asking applicants to complete their files?

Anonymous said...

On Cincinnati-
I got both- first, a request for additional materials (two writing samples, teaching effectiveness) and then an email saying they received my materials and they hope to interview candidates in November and December).

Anonymous said...

Can anyone comment on what additional materials Missouri asked for? They requested everything I can think of up front and it is hard to imagine what would be left.

Anonymous said...

Could someone please indicate what materials Pittsburgh asked for? Was it dissertation chapters or something else? Thanks.

Anonymous said...

What happened to Michigan and Cornell? They both had Sept 15 deadlines but no word about them so far... Many other Sept 15 schools already scheduled interviews or at least asked for more materials.

Anonymous said...

i got an acknowledgment email from cornell about getting my stuff (but that's it) and its a major longshot for me anyway

Anonymous said...

The Wiki indicates that Northeastern is already scheduling interviews, but there are new job ads for Northeastern TODAY. What's going on?

Anonymous said...

Wow, Wisconsin has asked at least six persons for more materials! Looks like they are generating a long short list...

Anonymous said...

Wisc casts a wide net for more materials... Over 15 people. It's their longlist.

Can someone provide deets on the 'new'(?) Northeastern posting? I don't see it in the ASA or the Chronicle...

Anonymous said...

Pittsburgh asked for additional writing samples. They did not specify chapters or published articles.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, 7.17, re: Pittsburgh. I am hoping that since I sent 2 pieces they don't need more materials from me. I know I might be deluding myself, but they were my top choice by far and thus I am holding out hope until all hope is gone. :)

Anonymous said...

7:32, I'm in the same situation (not just for Pittsburgh) - I sent a full packet to every school I'm applying and I haven't received any material request... Hopefully this is not an early sign of rejection.

Anonymous said...

Re: Missouri. They had contacted my references for letters. Since the ad stated to supply only names and contact info of references and since they contacted them personally (instead of asking me to contact them), I assumed that I had made some sort of cut.

Anonymous said...

Cornell is in the process of scheduling interviews.

Anonymous said...

re Northeastern: they just posted a job for an anthropologist- looking for someone who studies globalization and transnationalism.

question:
did anyone out there apply for women/gender studies positions in addition to soc positions?

Anonymous said...

Phew -- I'm glad to hear that there are other people who haven't been asked for further materials. I too sent a full application packet to Pittsburgh and everywhere else I applied and haven't heard a word!

Anonymous said...

To 8:45: yes.

Anonymous said...

I saw two people have been contacted by Harvard for more info. What info was requested since they asked for complete packets?

Anonymous said...

Has anyone heard anything from Florida State University (Oct. 1 deadline)? Materials were supposed to be e-mailed to SC and I never even got a quick "got it" reply.

Anonymous said...

Re:8:58am
I sent my application to FSU with return receipt. However, I haven't received any email that they read it, which may indicate they haven't started the process.

Anonymous said...

same thing for the methodology position at the LSA of UMich. The deadline is 15 Oct. I haven't received return receipt email from them. Anyone who received the acknowledgement of receipt for this position?

Anonymous said...

8:13: Can you clarify about Cornell? Are they calling applicants? Do you know how many?

Anonymous said...

8:48 re : women's studies-
is there a wiki? i looked online and it seems no one is updating. i'd like to share notes about news with someone/some group but can't seem to find a place to do it.

Anonymous said...

Cornell was supposed to call people yesterday. I think four interviews are planned.

Anonymous said...

I don't know of any updated wiki or blog for women's/gender studies. Actually, the only women's studies job I applied to this year is U of M. Haven't heard a peep from them yet. It seems like the ads are still being posted on the NWSA website. I remember last year a couple ads came out rather late in the season -- late October/early November.

Anonymous said...

Has anyone actually been called by Cornell?

Anonymous said...

9:20- thanks. it does still seem like ads are coming out on NWSA and HNet- some good ones were posted over the last week (Emory, Univ. of Illinois at Chicago). good luck!

Anonymous said...

Re: Women's/Gender Studies -

I am applying to lots of WGS jobs (around 10) and would love to see the WGS wiki more active. So, I think those of us who would like that just need to start updating it and others may follow. I would guess that people are looking at it, seeing no one is doing anything, and then just clicking away. If we start doing things, it might get others to do so as well. So, I'll go add what I know (which is just some more schools to the list -- I haven't heard from any of them yet).

Anonymous said...

9:44- thanks. i'll do the same. maybe it will attract more conversation.

Anonymous said...

I noticed that Smith was added to the "requested more materials" list. I'm curious- what did they request and when?
thanks

Anonymous said...

How can I find the Women's Studies wiki? Can someone post a link or instructions? Thanks!

Anonymous said...

women's studies wiki:
http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/Women%27s_studies_area_studies

Anonymous said...

Northeastern has two new postings from yesterday: one is for an urban sociologist, and the other is for an anthropologist.

Anonymous said...

cornell...another waste of copies/paper/postage, what kind of pompous jerk did i fancy myself to even think of applying there? look at me I'm a failure, bad sociologist, idiot, delusional, elitist wannabe...i don't belong there, i should be booted out of the discipline, have my ASA membership revoked

Anonymous said...

Still no clarification on Northeastern... Are they interviewing for the urban position or the gender position or both?

Anonymous said...

11:48 - I hope that you're only joking. We all try our best to do meaningful research. It's impossible to know what will resonate with any particular hiring committee. As I count off the schools that haven't called me, I know that they aren't passing individual judgement on me. Particularly with open specialty hires, like Cornell, it's hard to predict what they're actually looking for. Good luck to everyone!

Anonymous said...

It's also important to remember that the requirements for being admitted to these top schools are insane in terms of publications, or depends a lot on networks between professors, on fashion, on what they are looking for that particular year etc. And there's a lot of qualified students out there doing important research. So I wouldn't bet my research career nor my happiness on getting one of these top research places. At a smaller place it may be even better, because I'll be able to work on things that really matter to me, as opposed to what is fashionable or "cool" right now, and I'll also be able to have a sane life. Just saying, you can still contribute to our knowledge of the world without being at the most prestigious institutions.

Anonymous said...

I suppose it's time to read Burris again:

http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~vburris/caste.pdf

Anonymous said...

11:48, I totally understand how you feel about this as I, like you, also felt terrible about the news of Cornell. In fact I felt so bad that I had a long nap with my computer on... But then I remembered something from the job market brochure that my department gave to everyone on the market. It says that there will be weeks of no news, then weeks of bad news, but chances are very good that you will get a job by the end of the year. I guess now the weeks of bad news have just started for most of us who haven't heard from anyone yet, so let's all hold on and get through this. Good luck to all!!!

Anonymous said...

I had a nice chat today with a friend who is now on a SC for the 3rd time. S/he emphasized over and over that we need to remember there are LOT of qualified people for every job opening. What gets you in the top 10% of candidates for an opening might be up to you, but what gets you on the list of people to interview beyond that is totally out of your control because there are just a lot of well-trained sociologists who do good work.

I know it is hard. Half the places I applied are now listed on the wiki somewhere and I have not heard anything from anyone. But as much as that sucks, it is not about me personally.

Anonymous said...

Cincinnati (race position) asked for more materials earlier today...

Anonymous said...

Providence College has made a short list and requested additional info. The final short-short list will be made on/around October 28th.

Anonymous said...

Millersville University has started scheduling phone interviews for next week.

Anonymous said...

I'm also interested in what's going on with Smith College. Anyone know?

Anonymous said...

What's up with St. Edward's University? Someone said they scheduled phone and in-person interviews, but the deadline for applications isn't until the end of the month.

Anonymous said...

Ditto the question on St. Edward's. Their application is due Nov 1. So what's up with scheduling interviews before the apps are due?

Anonymous said...

I would not trust the info on St. Edward's - it does not make any sense to schedule both phone interviews and in-person interviews at the same time.

Anonymous said...

Question about Denison University in-person interview.

Were additional materials requested, and phone interviews conducted prior to scheduling in-person interview?

Anonymous said...

Does anyone have an update on the Delaware search? I know they did phone interviews, but had anyone heard about flyouts?

Anonymous said...

I was asked to provide more materials from Smith College on October 17th, due on the 24th.

Anonymous said...

When they contacted you from Smith College, or Pittsburgh, Wisconsin or any other school to ask you for more materials, did they tell you that you are on their shortlist?

I am asking because like some of you out there, I have submitted several dissertation chapters as well as articles, and I really don't think that any school would need to contact me to ask for additional material.

I am trying to understand what these requests for additional material mean.

Anonymous said...

Re: 7:17, I have exactly the same situation and am wondering about the same thing. But hopefully more schools will make their interview lists in the next 1-2 weeks so we don't have to wait and speculate helplessly like this!

Anonymous said...

My adviser told me that schools like Wisconsin are probably developing a long list of about 15 candidates. They then contact these candidates and request written work, and use these samples to influence who gets invited to campus. Other than in unique circumstances, they are not going to bother taking the time of reading materials from a candidate in whom they are not remotely interested. Getting a request for materials is a good sign.

Anonymous said...

Does anyone know if there have been interviews for the position at St. Joe's in Philly?

The position may even be filled by now, just curious.

Anonymous said...

Would the person who posted that Florida State University has scheduled campus interviews mind sharing whether this is for the Open or Agin position? Thanks!!

Unknown said...

It's a tough pill to swallow, but no matter how much material you sent them, they will contact you for more information if you make the long list. This is sad as I haven't been contacted by a lot of my top choice places. But keep in mind that it's a cr*p shoot at best. I was on an SC last year and how they whittle down the 100+ apps to the 10 long list then to the 3 invites seemed extremely random.

Anonymous said...

I have to say my experience was a bit different. The first time I was contacted was to ask me to come for an interview. So that can happen. I doubt it is the norm, though.

Anonymous said...

Please do not scare those of us who have not heard anything yet. I know many people from previous years who were directly contacted for interview without being asked for more materials. It varies from school to school, I suspect.

Anonymous said...

The post about not being asked for more information was in regards to places that had asked for more information from some people but not others. In this case, everyone on the long list, no matter how much materials were sent out will be contacted. I think the more common thing is for people to directly contact the finalists without phone interviews and/or follow-up requests for more material. I've gotten some invitations for campus interviews and NONE of these places asked for more material or had phone interviews.

Anonymous said...

How do we go back to delete a post?

Anonymous said...

I went on the market two years ago. I had five interviews (plus a phone interview), and none asked me for any additional material before the interviews.

Anonymous said...

I also had an interview last year and was not contacted for more materials.

Anonymous said...

can the person who posted about Clark please clarify? Did they contact you or a friend?

Anonymous said...

clark is looking to diversify, BTW (they need it)

Anonymous said...

I think the people who were asked to provide writing materials should be optimistic. The job ad did not ask for materials, so that might mean that you guys are also on some kind of a list.

Anonymous said...

Delaware is inviting out candidates.

Anonymous said...

Did UMass-Amherst get their search cancelled? I read somewhere that all searches at UMass have been cancelled due to budget problems.

Anonymous said...

my understanding re : u mass is that all searches have beeo frozen right now. they haven't said that it's cancelled though- in fact, i think they are hopful that they will be hiring for some openings, just not as many as anticipated. we'll see...

Anonymous said...

I can only speak for Smith, but their original job ad only asked for cover letter, CV and rec letters, so they've made a first cut and are now asking people to send in their written materials. They are the only school I know of who has done things this way. So I wouldn't expect other schools to ask for more info if you already sent in all your materials to begin with.

Anonymous said...

How do we delete posts?

Anonymous said...

Does anyone know anything about the social demography search at Rutgers? I heard a friend of a friend mention something about phone interviews having taken place, but I haven't seen it mentioned on the wiki and wasn't sure it was accurate (fingers crossed that my info was wrong!)

Anonymous said...

Re: 8:23 AM: The FSU position is the "open" position.

Anonymous said...

At least one of Miami of Ohio's searches has been suspended.

Anonymous said...

3:44 re: Rutgers social demography

Phone interviews are being conducted from a long short list. Decisions about campus interviews will be made by the beginning of November.

«Oldest ‹Older   1 – 200 of 2083   Newer› Newest»